Tuesday 4 October 2011

indispensables


The heron isn't indispensable, but I thought you would like a picture! Not a good one, but at least recognisable.
We continue with the cabling, but today I thought I would write about the necessities of a build that I have to carry everywhere:

The site diary is A4, with a waterproof cover (yes, I have left it out in the rain) and we write everything in there - and then have to try to decipher the handwriting several weeks later.

The handbag: this gets little mention in the books & magazines, but is an absolute necessity.
Made in sturdy canvas, and bought on a Spanish market, it has lot of pockets for the following:
The collection of delivery notes & invoices that I gather as the week goes by.
Small metre measure on a key-ring (useful to check sizes in shops)

Pens, and markers of all colours, for marking positions of appliances, cables etc.

Mobile phone, with our whole lives programmed into it.

Camera (so you can all see the nice pictures!)

Baby wipes, very big ones.

Hand cream (good stuff, to use after leaving the site in an attempt to ward off “builders’ hands”)

Lip gloss because standards must not slip below a certain level.

Discount or reward cards for all the major DIY stores

Looped on the handle is my trusty Buff rainbow headband, to keep my hair out of my eyes.

The builder's apron:
Based on those macho toolbelts, this was run up in an hour out of some spare denim, also with many pockets for:
Scissors
Stanley knife
Pencils & markers
Tape

The box:
tea, coffee, biscuits & apples!


No comments:

Post a Comment