Thursday 29 September 2011

wildlife, guttering & cables


One of the best things about our site (when will it become "our house & garden, I wonder?) is the wildlife that we can see.
Yesterday, up high on the scaffolding (when I should have been connecting the guttering) I could see the adult swans teaching their almost-adult offspring how to scare off an intruder. Rising out of the water, wings flapping, they were a wonderful sight.
Today I watched a heron standing as still & patiently as only a heron can, before rising magnificently with that slow, powerful wing beat.
Sadly, you get no photos of these treats as I am too inept with a camera, and all my efforts have produced only a white blob on the landscape, with barely a clue as to which was a heron and which a swan.
You can see the guttering:



And I did manage to get a picture of the cows, who are large enough to show up in my pictures:



We are about half-a-mile away from one of the popular swimming places on the River Nene, and there was a small, but steady stream of people making their way there today, to make the best
of the lovely weather.

We have been fitting the cabling for our "smart home". There are so many cables - most of the rooms have cat5e, TV/computer and audio cables. Keith has organised a system of coloured tape in different combinations so that we know which is which:

It reminds me of those signal flags that sailors use to say things like "I am lowering my defences and advancing slowly"
Tomorrow, 540 Fermacell boards are being delivered.

No comments:

Post a Comment